Featured Post

ZION NATIONAL PARK UTAH This image was made during the fall of 2015 in SW Utah. It was one of three parks that we visited on this tri...

Saturday, August 15, 2009

THE LAST BAG ©1971






A SCENE FROM AN OLD ABANDONED GRIST MILL


This image is from a documentary titled, "The Last of the Old Water Mills." The story appeared in my new book on CD. From the Blue Ridge to the Shenandoah Valley and Beyond. 2011

During the early seventies, I recorded several old mills which were rapidly disappearing from the Blue Ridge Landscape. When I walked into this particular mill, it was as if the old miller had just walked away and left things as they had been during that final day of operation. I called this image, The Last Bag, because that it exactly how I found it.

Someone purchased this mill shortly after I completed my documentary and turned the structure into a unique home, leaving the existing machinery just as I found it. It was a most unique living quarters. It became both a home and a museum.

For a larger image click on the Last Bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment