Featured Post

ZION NATIONAL PARK UTAH This image was made during the fall of 2015 in SW Utah. It was one of three parks that we visited on this tri...

Saturday, May 7, 2011

JACK JEFFERS MAJOR DONATION TO ASU




MOUNTAIN MAN




Mountain Man is one of over six hundred original silver prints that were recently donated to Appalachian State University in Boone, NC.


This is the largest donation that I have ever made, and it represents the core of my Appalachian Project which covered a period of nearly forty years.


The objective was to keep the collection intact so that it could be enjoyed by future generations who will appreciate a documentary of bygone days throughout the Appalachians. The collection is noted for both it's historic and artistic merit.


It was a tough decision, but I chose ASU because of its location and their established programs relating to the Appalachian area as a whole.


The image of Mountain Man took one of the most satisfying awards of my career. It was the first fine art photograph to take a best in show in a multi-media art show. It happened in 1972, and I had to take on the art league single handed before they would allow what they considered an "unacceptable medium" to stand beside painters, sculptors and other media.


This win dramatically raised the acceptance level of fine art photography, but for me personally, it became a cause that supported my belief that a photograph was as much a work of fine art as other media.


Over the years, I continued to put my art where my mouth was, and I took many more best in shows before retiring from printmaking in 2005.


I was also one of the first fine art photographs to number my originals. Each image was signed, numbered and documented by me personally.

To view a larger image of Mountain Man, left click on the above image.




No comments:

Post a Comment