Featured Post

ZION NATIONAL PARK UTAH This image was made during the fall of 2015 in SW Utah. It was one of three parks that we visited on this tri...

Friday, November 20, 2009

SHERANDO BARN ©1975


Sherando Barn
===
This image was the result of previsualizaton and being in the right spot at the right time.

When I lived in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, I was right at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains, and as you will see, if you follow my blog, I made good use of the subject matter.

I had driven by this old barn many times on my way to and from the mountains. In fact, it was within a half mile of my home. The concept was formulated over a period of time because it was a pretty little shack but the foreground and background were littered with distractions. My feeling was that a good snow would solve my problem, and living so close by, all I would have to do is head down the road during the first snow. And that is exactly how it happened.

This is a case where I used a clear plastic bag over the camera and when the moment was right I would jerk the bag off and make my exposure. I made several exposures just to be on the safe side and this one shows the snow blowing in from the left which is where I figured it would come from. This white stuff completed my concept.

This edition sold out quite fast and was copied by more than one painter. They never seem to learn that photographs are copyrighted and to paint and market the image as their own is against the law and carries a pretty stiff penalty. Toward the end of my blog you will see a good example of a copyright infringement and the painter paid dearly for it after I saw her image published in SOUTHWEST ART MAGAZINE.


To view a larger image left click on the barn.

No comments:

Post a Comment