Featured Post

ZION NATIONAL PARK UTAH This image was made during the fall of 2015 in SW Utah. It was one of three parks that we visited on this tri...

Saturday, August 15, 2009

BLIZZARD ©1975




SHENANDOAH VALLEY 1975


It was January 20 and the wind was blowing about forty MPH. This makes for difficult photography, but the lighting was bright and I had a heavy tripod and a steady hand.

In a case like this, I covered the camera with a clear plastic bag and allowed the lens to cool down to the point where the snow would bounce off the protective filter without melting. For the actual exposure, I would stand between the camera and the wind and quickly jerk the bag off the camera before making the exposure.

I can recall to this day that it was well below freezing and I was working in my down jacket and a pair of gloves with a slit in the palm to allow me to use my bare fingers briefly before they got too cold to feel the advance handle on the camera. I made a bracket of three exposures and that was it. The image clearly speaks for itself and the shutter speed of about a a quarter of a second was slow enough to blur the snowflakes against the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment