Featured Post

ZION NATIONAL PARK UTAH This image was made during the fall of 2015 in SW Utah. It was one of three parks that we visited on this tri...

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

FROM THE APPALACHIAN PORTFOLIO

THE LAST CHORD ©1970

I was hiking the Blue Ridge Mountains during a chilly day in March when I ran across the remains of an old mountain church. The roof had deteriorated to the point where it was collapsing into the building. There were maybe a half dozen pews still remaining, and it was as if the congregation just got up and walked away to let the place die of old age. But it was the organ that caught my eye, and I made this image without further hesitation. I later made a second trip back to check it out again but this image has always been one of my favorites. It deserves the name I gave it.

At the time, this was a remote hollow along a small stream, but as the years have passed, the place was discovered and there are now numerous homes and cabins dotting the hillside along the North Fork of the Tye River.

No comments:

Post a Comment