Featured Post

ZION NATIONAL PARK UTAH This image was made during the fall of 2015 in SW Utah. It was one of three parks that we visited on this tri...

Sunday, July 19, 2009

JACK JEFFERS; ONLY IN OCTOBER ©1969





ONLY IN OCTOBER








If I absolutely had to select my favorite image from the thousands I have made over the years, this would likely be it. And it would be for a number of personal reasons.


It obviously was the number one image for collectors, and I almost let the edition get away from me before I realized what was happening. I did, however, manage to put two originals aside to remain in my personal collection


The location for this image was the Saint Mary's River Gorge which is located in southern August County, VA. During the terribly floods and landslides generated by Hurricane Camile during the August flood of 1969, this river gorge was changed forever. It was as if it had been flushed by a giant tidal wave. The entire topography changed literally overnight. Many people were killed in the surrounding areas that night and most their bodies were never recovered from their watery graves.


I returned to the Saint Mary's in October 1969 and several times following the flood. Mother Nature has once more taken control.

No comments:

Post a Comment